RIGHT turns at the intersection of Beaufort and Walcott streets in Mt Lawley have been banned from all directions and at all hours for a 12-month trial.
The year-long ban began on Thursday.
Perth MHR Tim Hammond and Mt Lawley MLA Simon Millman campaigned for the change.
The trial was agreed on in October last year after Mr Hammond and Mr Millman facilitated negotiations between the cities of Vincent and Stirling and relevant State authorities.
The trial will monitor extra traffic along side streets to detect whether the ban encourages rat-running.
In February, the RAC’s Risky Roads survey ranked the intersection the eighth most dangerous intersection in the state.
Mr Hammond said the change was “long overdue” and that he was pleased the hard work of the local community had paid off.
“The Beaufort-Walcott intersection was a nightmare to drive through regardless of which direction you travelled in, as well as being extremely dangerous for pedestrians,” he said.
Mr Millman described the trial as “a massive win for our community”.
“The changes will make the intersection safer for pedestrians and motorists, while giving local businesses a much-needed boost as well,” he said.