Warning over gas heaters as Perth prepares for winter

Stock image.
Stock image.

PERTH residents have been urged to make sure their gas heaters are in good working order with winter fast approaching.

Carbon monoxide gas leaking from faulty heaters can be fatal, as in the tragic case of Victorian brothers Tyler (7) and Chase Robinson (9) who died in 2010 at their home in Shepparton.

In the wake of that incident, Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week was set up.

This year the week runs from April 30 until May 6 and WA’s Director of Energy Safety Ken Bowron using it to remind householders to have their gas heaters serviced before using them this winter.

“The most recent case of carbon monoxide poisoning in WA caused by a household gas heater was in August 2016,” he said.

“Fortunately the victim made a recovery after medical attention.

“With heaters being idle for many months over summer it is important to have them serviced by a licensed gas fitter or service agent to make sure it is working properly.

“Air filters, air ways, fans and burners can become blocked by lint and dust, especially if the heater has been stored in a garden shed or similar over the summer which can lead to overheating and burner problems and producing carbon monoxide gas.”

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas which may be produced by faulty, poorly maintained or misused gas appliances.

People may not know be aware that they have been exposed to potentially fatal levels of carbon monoxide until the symptoms of poisoning become severe.

Exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide may result in a person experiencing headaches, weakness, fatigue and nausea and can mimic flu like symptoms and can be often misdiagnosed.

Higher level and prolonged exposure symptoms could include severe headache, dizziness, rapid or irregular heartbeat, vomiting, seizures and collapse. In extreme cases this can lead to coma and death.

The WA Government recommends the following tips:

Check the service sticker on the appliance, is it due for a service? Call a licensed gas fitter or service agent.

When using a flueless heater, make sure that the room is adequately ventilated.

Make sure that permanent ventilation openings are not blocked.

Check flues are not blocked or obstructed.

Make sure that roof insulation is not obstructing a heater in the roof space.

Check the outer case of your space heater. Is it discoloured? Discolouration is an indication of a faulty flue and that it is time to have it checked by a licensed gas fitter.

If you have difficulty re-lighting the gas appliance, call a licensed gas fitter or service agent.

Check the heater – a yellow flame can indicate that your heater is not running correctly and needs servicing.

For more information on the servicing of gas appliances visit: https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/gas-appliances.

If anyone suspects they have inhaled carbon monoxide or have symptoms of its poisoning they should seek medical attention immediately as well as seeking fresh air.

MORE: Kim Beazley to be sworn in as WA’s new Governor today

MORE: Cutie Hooties FIFO dolls providing comfort to kids whose parents work away

MORE: Perth Fringe World: event company JumpClimb to fold, owing artists $200k