AMONG the people looking to put their home on the market this spring will be those looking to sell the family home and downsize.
They may be considering buying a smaller home or apartment, building a granny flat on their children’s property, or moving into a lifestyle village, retirement village or caravan park
Council of the Ageing chief executive Mark Teale gave the below tips for people taking this significant step.
– Know what you want. Make a list of what you absolutely must have and the things you will compromise on.
– Do your research and educate yourself. This is most important. Find out as much as you can about the laws covering your housing option, financial implications and what you need to know as a consumer.
– Look for the best deal for you.
– Don’t be hurried or hassled into making any decision. Take your time to make the right choice.
– Seek expert advice.
– Talk to people you trust to help make your decision.
More information is available from the State Government’s Seniors Housing Advisory Centre at commerce.wa.gov.au, 1300 367 057 or Level 2, 140 William St, Perth.