Battery pack starts recycling truck fire

An incorrectly disposed battery pack started a fire when it was compacted in a recycling truck.
An incorrectly disposed battery pack started a fire when it was compacted in a recycling truck.

A RECYCLING truck caught on fire in the Perth Hills yesterday after an incorrectly disposed battery pack in a recycling bin and compacted in the truck.

In a Facebook post, Chidlow Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade said the incident could have been very serious had it not been for the vigilance of the driver.

“It would appear that some people don’t read or disregard the instructions associated with what should be and what shouldn’t be placed in the recycling bin,” the post said.

“Today’s fire was caused by a battery pack, believed to be from a scooter or a moped, being crushed in the truck during the compaction process.”

A battery pack was placed in a recycling bin and compacted in the truck. Picture: Supplied

“There’s a reason some items can not be put in bins,” they said.

“When crushed, chemical reactions can cause batteries to heat up and reach a temperature where a fire may develop.

“Had the truck become fully involved the fire may have spread into the bush and thereby threaten everyone.

“Batteries must not be placed in the yellow recycling bin.”

The firey load had to be dumped at the Chidlow Tip so the source of the fire could be located and firefighters could extinguish it.

More news

Police investigate Forrestdale bushfire

More news from around Perth