Chips left unattended on stove the cause of Greenmount house fire

Stock picture.
Stock picture.

AN ACCIDENTAL fire started by a pot left on a stove caused more than $250,000 damage to a house in Greenmount on Saturday night.

The blaze reported at 11.24pm took hold in the roof, kitchen and living areas and was brought under control by four fire crews in under half an hour.

A 19-year-old occupant started cooking chips in oil on the stove when he fell asleep on the couch about 11.20pm, according to a media report.

Three people inside the Wortley Road rental home escaped without serious injury.

MORE: Swayers Valley fire downgraded due to change in weather conditions

MORE: Perth’s police seize million dollar drug property and halt the distribution of guns

MORE: Man arrested after threatening speed camera operator