Court to settle dog fight

The Shire alleges the dog attacked a number of people and are seeking to have it destroyed. The family claims the attack reports are wrong and the loss of the 15-month-old puppy has traumatised its nine-year-old female owner and has created a Facebook site in support their cause.

Shire of York CEO Ray Hooper said the case would be heard at Northam Magistrates Court on Friday.

‘The magistrate will listen to both sides, hear the evidence and make a decision,’ he said.

‘They might order [the dog] to be returned or rehoused if they win the case, or if the Shire wins [the dog] might be put down or rehomed.’

Mr Hooper said he expected the issue to have been resolved weeks ago.

The family’s Facebook site ” Save Suzi our Pup ” has attracted more than 330 likes as the online community rallies around the cause.

A family member said they had been fighting the Shire over the case since April.

‘They are dragging the case out and refusing to give full disclosure in attempt for revenue hunting in the event that they will win,’ the family member said.

Shire of York president Tony Boyle said the only way the case would be resolved was to put it before a magistrate.

‘They said it was not their dog but three independent witnesses have said it was,’ he said.

If a dog attacks a person or an animal, the registered dog owner and/or the person in control of the dog may be held responsible.

A dog attack can include a dog acting aggressively, rushing, jumping at or attempting to attack a person or animal, whether or not any physical injury is caused.

Heavy penalties may be imposed, including a maximum fine of $10,000.

The family’s Facebook page can be found at facebook.com/SaveSuziOurPup

.shareYours{display:none!important;}