Mt Helena residents warned defibrillator for emergencies no longer working

THE Mt Helena Parkerville CWA has advised residents that a defibrillator bought for the community 10 years ago no longer works.

Branch secretary Linda Houghton said replacement parts for the unit, which had been housed at the Mt Helena Tavern, were no longer available and it had been removed.

Mrs Houghton asked residents to discard fridge magnets that advertised the local defibrillator at the tavern for emergencies.

She said anyone faced with a cardiac emergency should begin CPR and call 000 for an ambulance.

“If they are in the vicinity of Lake Leschenaultia or the Mt Helena Aquatic Centre during summer opening hours, both of these facilities have a defibrillator on site,” she said.

The Mt Helena-|Parkerville CWA branch meets at 9.30am at its Keane Street rooms in Mt Helena on the third Wednesday of each month.