Family of man burned in Iluka garage fire overwhelmed with support

Stuart Graham is recovering in Fiona Stanley Hospital.
Stuart Graham is recovering in Fiona Stanley Hospital.

THE family of a man burnt in a garage fire in Iluka on Monday night say they have been overwhelmed with support.

Evelyn Graham said her husband Stuart had been severely burnt below the waist, less so on the arms, hands and torso and, thankfully, had only superficial face burns.

“It’s going to be a long road for us,” she said.

“They need to do skin grafts, starting this Friday.

“But he hasn’t lost any sight or hearing – that was for me a very big relief.”

MORE: Father of two suffers burns in Iluka garage fire

The Grahams, including son Troy (13) and daughter Kirstie (10), had moved to Perth just a month ago from Sydney after emigrating from South Africa.

They had been renting out the Delgado Parade home when Mr Graham tried to prevent a fire in the garage from spreading after an electrical fault.

Stuart Graham.

“We moved here to buy a house and put roots down in Australia and we will continue on this path,” Mrs Graham said.

“Stuart has a lot of support; the community has been fantastic here in Perth, unbelievable.

“The outpouring of offers of help in any small or big way are completely appreciated and more than we could have hoped for.

“It has been amazing; Australians definitely know how to help people.”

Mrs Graham said her husband would be at Fiona Stanley Hospital for a couple of weeks before being an outpatient.

MORE: Boy charged with grievous bodily harm over alleged Northbridge attack

MORE: City of Wanneroo to become Perth’s most populated area 

MORE: Some Fremantle residents object to Aldi liquor license application