HOUSING density issues in Duncraig will again be addressed at a special Joondalup council meeting next Tuesday.
The 7pm meeting will consider amending a council decision last month to reduce the residential density coding west of Davallia Road from R20/40 and R20/60 to R20/30.
Last April, Duncraig residents at special council meeting expressed concerns over redevelopment in the suburb stemming from an increased residential density coding in the City’s Local Housing Strategy.
Residents moved a motion for the council to reduce the density of the area “bounded by the Mitchell Freeway to the east, Davallia Road to the west, Beach Road to the south and Warwick Road to the north”.
In June, the council voted to initiate this Amendment 88 to the City’s district planning scheme.
However, this area was only part of Housing Opportunity Area 1. The area west of Davallia Road was not included in the amendment.
In September, residents petitioned for this area to be included in Amendment 88, which councillors agreed to at their November meeting.
This meant the council needed to revoke its decision to initiate and advertise Amendment 88 and replace it with an amendment to recode the entire Housing Opportunity Area 1.
However, the Department of Planning said that Amendment 88 needed to be advertised in its original form.
As a solution, the council voted to initiate a separate Amendment 90 to recode the area west of Davallia Road and City officers proposed the amendments be advertised at the same time, with feedback given in one report and encouraging the WA Planning Commission (WAPC) to consider them together.
Planning and community development Dale Page said Amendment 90 needed to follow the same process as Amendment 88 and be sent to the Environmental Protection Authority and WAPC for permission to advertise.
She said the City’s policy was not to advertise in the break between the last council meeting in December and the first in February because “a lot of people are away”.
“We could be criticised for not consulting on a big issue when people are not able to have their input,” she said.
However, residents urged the council to allow advertising during the break, which is until February 20.
Chief executive Garry Hunt said the policy was introduced more than 10 years ago after there was “considerable outrage” following consultation undertaken during the break regarding a development in Sorrento.
Cr Mike Norman requested the discretion saying he did not think the City should “draw out the process any longer”.
Cr John Chester agreed saying while there was some risk advertising in the break, it was the “desire of the local community”.
Cr Sophie Dwyer said while there was a “time pressure”, the council did not want to “remove rights” from people having their say.
Mayor Albert Jacob agreed saying the City was looking to address its consultation strategies and it would not be wise to start this by advertising in the break and “rushing it”.
He said the City may not even get permission to advertise until after the break anyway.
The amendment was lost 4-8.