Kinross Central Shopping Centre all clear after early morning gas leak

Stock image.
Stock image.

EMERGENCY services have declared Kinross Central Shopping Centre safe after it was evacuated because of a gas leak this morning.

Nine Department of Fire and Emergency Services Authority crews responded to an initial emergency call about a refrigerant gas leak before 8am.

What shoppers thought was smoke was in fact gas hitting the air and becoming what looked like smoke.

“As a precaution we evacuated the centre,” a DFES spokeswoman said.

“A field liaison officer did some testing and confirmed the area was safe.

“The gas was being dispersed naturally and as a result wasn’t a significant harm to the community.”

The spokeswoman said there had been “some food spoilage but no damage to the building”.

Three fire crews remain at the centre.

MORE: Two kids in hospital after crashes in Canning Vale and Thornlie

MORE: Police call for good samaritan to come forward after attempted robbery

MORE: Oakford assault: police still hunting for attacker, elderly victim left with severe spinal injuries