AN off-duty nurse, St John Ambulance volunteers and a number of bystanders all attempted to save a two-year-old boy from choking at Lakeside Joondalup last week but he could not be revived.
The child had reportedly choked on chewing gum in the Monday, July 11 incident.
A St John Ambulance spokesman confirmed volunteers from the service’s First Aid Freeze stand aided in the attempted resuscitation of the child with an off-duty nurse.
He said career officers arrived about 3.40pm and rushed the toddler to Joondalup Health Campus, where he was pronounced dead.
A Facebook user, who said she was there on Monday, said the St Johns volunteers were quick to help as was security.
“We didn’t go in there as there were many helpers heading there, but it sounded like all those who did help were amazing,” she wrote in the comment section of a media link.
A police media spokeswoman said officers were called about 5pm to the hospital in relation to the death.
She said a report would be prepared for the coroner.
A Lakeside Joondalup spokeswoman said “our deepest sympathies are with the family at this difficult time”.