Perth: Housing Minister supports Denishar Woods’ family’s right to legal action over near-fatal electric shock

Denishar Woods.
Denishar Woods.

HOUSING Minister Peter Tinley says he supports electric shock victim Denishar Woods’ family’s right to sue the State Government over the near-fatal incident that occurred in March.

Mr Tinley met with Lacey Harrison, the mother of the Beldon schoolgirl, saying he listened to her requests for additional support and assistance to care for Denishar.

The 11-year-old almost died after suffering an electric shock from a garden tap on the family’s public housing property on March 3.

Mr Tinley said in a statement he wanted to reiterate earlier assurances that the Department of Communities would offer all the support it could to the family while the formal investigation by the Office of Energy Safety WA was ongoing.

“As I have previously stated, as a parent myself I can only imagine what she and the rest of her family are going through,” he said.

“I repeated my assurance that the Department of Communities and I will do all we can to support and assist Ms Harrison and her family, as one of our tenants, within the constraints that we operate under.

“I understand that Ms Harrison intends to take legal action against the State Government and I fully support her right to do so.”

Lawyer John Hammond said in March the State Government could potentially be facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit.