THE historic Woodbridge House and grounds are open to the public again after being closed for an annual spring-clean.
Each July, a hardworking team of volunteers gives the house a thorough clean, and not one item gets missed.
All the silverware is polished, all the crockery and fine chinaware is washed, the linen is washed, starched and ironed and the furniture is polished with heritage products.
Fresh flowers are placed in the vases.
Then everything is carefully arranged to represent a gentleman’s residence of the late Victorian/Edwardian era when the Harper family lived in Woodbridge.
Woodbridge was built between 1883 and 1885 for the pioneer and entrepreneur Charles Harper and his wife Fanny.
The two-storey home built from rose-coloured bricks is set high on the banks of the Swan River.
Charles and Fanny Harper raised 10 children at Woodbridge.
Three of their sons are well-known in the City of Swan because they joined the 10th Light Horse Regiment in World War 1.
Gresley and Wilfred Harper served at Gallipoli in 1915 and Prescott Harper served in Palestine in 1917.
Woodbridge is open to the public from Thursday to Sunday from 1pm to 4 pm.
The National Trust organises group tours with guides, which can be booked during the week by calling 9321 6088.
Enter through the gates at Governor Stirling SHS and follow the signs to Woodbridge House.
The National Trust has an extensive education program based at Woodbridge House, which is also linked to the national curriculum.
Schools and community groups visit the site each year for the three most popular programs – Guildford to Gallipoli, Meet the Harpers and The History of Woodbridge.
Call the National Trust on 9321 6088 or visit the Education Department’s website.
There are tearooms on site in the old coach house and stable block, which you can also see first on the Riverside @ Woodbridge website.