THE death of a racehorse goanna trapped in a discarded drink can has shocked a Swan View resident on his daily walk.
Brian was walking his dog through Talbot Road Reserve when he came across the lizard.
“What a horrible death,” he said after writing a letter to the Reporter. “I haven’t seen any animals captured like that in the reserve before. But I have seen photos of a similar nature.”
He said he often saw cans left around from people drinking in the bushland, home to at least 12 lizard species.
“It would be great if bins were left at the entrance to the reserve,” he said.
“At least then people could take their cans with them and throw them in the bin.”
Brian’s open letter posted to the Reporter:
“Do you even care?
“The person, if you can even call him or her that, obviously doesn’t, otherwise they wouldn’t have been so careless leaving empty cans behind for our valuable wildlife to get trapped in.
“The Australian nature is a delicate balance for survival and our native wildlife will thank you for removing and disposing of your rubbish in a safe and responsible manner.
“It saddens me to see such cruelty, so please do your bit to protect our environment now and our future generations will be able to enjoy our special nature.”