APPROVAL for a 24/7 drive-In takeaway food shop on Meares Avenue in Kwinana has left affected residents devastated.
The approval by the South West Metropolitan Joint Development Assessment Panel on August 31 came after the City of Kwinana gave it initial approval on August 24.
But several residents who live directly opposite the site said their concerns regarding excessive noise and lighting created by the development were not fully taken into account by the council.
Resident Victoria Starkey said she had been raising concerns with Council for almost two years relating to her health.
“I have cancer and due to the excessive noise and light I can not sleep properly. It has complicated my condition as the stress has now brought on a condition known as grand mal seizures. It causes me to black out and collapse. It is completely stress related.
“Now my son David has to put his life on hold to become my full-time carer.”
“Doctors can’t properly treat the cancer until I am in a healthier state.”
Mrs Starkey was one of four residents who formally put forward objections to the council relating to the development.
Their key concerns were increased lighting, noise, traffic and rubbish from the new development.
She said she had spoken to the developer James Galluccio.
“He told me he would fix it; ‘I’ll take care of all these problems for you, Victoria’ but since then I have heard nothing.”
Mr Galluccio was not in attendance at the August 24 council meeting but was represented by his project manager, Sean Fairfoul.
Mayor Carol Adams raised her own concerns regarding the development with councillors and asked Mr Fairfoul to take their concerns back to the developer.
“I am concerned and share the residents’ concerns about a 24/7 operation and another gym in that location,” she said.
“We are not numb to their concerns. Mr Fairfoul, can you take some of these concerns back to the developer?”
Mrs Starkey said she did not know what to do.
“I am absolutely devastated; surely residents’ concerns and their health should come first?”