Ben Gerring dies in hospital after losing leg in a shark attack in Falcon

Fisheries hunting for the killer great white shark
Fisheries hunting for the killer great white shark

29-year-old surfer Ben Gerring has died overnight, following a shark attack in Falcon last Tuesday.

Mr Gerring was surfing with about 20 others before 4pm, when he was bitten by a great white shark.

In an act of heroism, two other surfers dragged him from the water and performed CPR until paramedics arrived.

In the meantime, more surfers ran to Falcon Beach Bay Café to get ice for Mr Gerring’s leg.

A makeshift tourniquet was placed around the severed leg, which stemmed the bleeding.

He was rushed to Peel Health Campus where he was stabilised and made ready for a helicopter flight to Royal Perth Hospital.

Mr Gerring’s family released a statement after the attack.

“We would like to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone involved in Ben’s rescue and his treatment. The bravery and efforts of his rescuers and the care provided by the doctors and the nurses has been amazing. We would also like to thank family and friends for their messages of love and support, they are greatly appreciated.”

Mr Gerring’s pregnant fiancé Jasmine Boyer flew down from her workplace to Perth to be by his side.

As Mr Gerring fought for his life 100s of messages of hope from friends and family were posted on his Facebook wall – where they encouraged him to keep fighting.

Today, messages in tribute have replaced messages of hope.

The beach where Mr Gerring was attacked was reopened on Friday, while he remained in a critical condition at Royal Perth Hospital.

His condition prevented the hospital from performing surgery.

Mandurah Board Riders set up free counselling services for club members.

In a Facebook message they told members that it is “important to talk about things and everyone deals with events like this in different ways – please feel free to use this service and the MBR committee are here to help also if you need us. Ben’s a fighter and thoughts are with his family and friends.”

A Go Fund Me page had been set up to support Mr Gerring’s and his partner.

By Friday afternoon, $20,990 had been raised.