Used syringe shock for child

Used syringe shock for child

A MANDURAH resident was left feeling “disgusted” after her child picked up a discarded needle outside Reading Cinemas.

The resident took to Facebook to warn other parents.

A second needle was found on the same day by a local walking on a footpath in the Silver Sands area.

The needle and bag, suspected of having contained drugs, had been left lying on the grass next to the path where anyone could have stepped on it. The woman, who wished to remain unnamed, said she felt angry and horrified.

“I have seen dirty needles on the side of footpaths more than once in Mandurah central, and when I saw this dirty needle on the side of footpath I felt angry that someone could be that heartless to leave dirty needles right where a child could have picked it up,” she said.

“I got anxiety having to pick this needle up and bin it so no child would grab it.

“No one should have to be picking up needles off the street and being at risk of pricking themselves.”

The incident had caused her to reconsider living in Mandurah. Used syringes have also been seen around Mandurah schools and the train station.

The Department of Health recommends contacting local councils to remove needles, but if you are going to do it yourself, place the needle in a hard plastic container with a screw-top, being careful to avoid touching the sharp end of the needle. Place the container in a needle and syringe disposal bin, or contact the Needle Clean Up Hotline or your local council.