COODANUP College students have fundraised more than $1250 to cover vet expenses after their education assistance dog swallowed three cups full of gravel.
The beloved labrador named Justus came across some spilled food on the gravel, ingested it and was required to have major gastro surgery.
Year 7 school teacher and Justus’ caretaker Rebekka Bell said the pooch had endured $5000 worth of lifesaving surgery.
“As long as he rests he should recover well,” she said.
“The students have been initiating fundraising ideas to raise money for his surgery.
“We held a school dress up day with a $1 donation going towards the vet bill as well as cooking classes where students made sweets and sold them for Justus.
“We also had a raffle and a Christmas fair event which we held last Friday and all proceeds will go towards Justus’s surgery bill.”
Ms Bell said the surgeon removed 715g of gravel from his stomach.
“He’s started his school holidays early because he has a long recovery ahead of him,” she said.
“It’s heart-warming how concerned and worried the students are here at Coodanup, especially the year sevens who Justus spends most of his time with.”