Dudley Park man jailed for crime spree and leading police on high-speed chase

A DUDLEY Park man claimed he committed a crime spree after his partner pressed false assault charges against him.

Cody John Fissioli appeared in Mandurah Magistrates Court today via videolink from Hakea Prison charged with three counts of assault in circumstances of aggravation, breaching bail, being the driver of a vehicle and failing to stop, no authority to drive, possessing cannabis, driving with false plates and driving in a manner dangerous to the public.

Counsel for Fissioli told the court that his partner admitted to police Fissioli had never attacked her.

The police prosecutor made an application for the three assault charges to be dropped and said police had charged the woman with making false reports.

Fissioli pleaded guilty to all charges bar the breach of bail.

The prosecutor told the court Fissioli’s crime spree began on June 18 during a search warrant at his Dudley Park address.

On the same date, on Old Coast Road at 1.30am, police were driving behind Fissioli’s white Mitsubishi Magna.

Police activated their lights to stop the car for a licence check and to administer a breathalyser test.

Fissioli pulled the car over to the verge, but at the last minute sped off.

He then led police on an eight-minute high-speed chase throughout Mandurah, where Fissioli reached speeds of up to 200km/h.

The prosecutor told the court Fissioli drove at speed through Mandurah’s entertainment district, which was packed with pedestrians at that time of night.

Throughout the chase, Fissioli drove at 120km/h near Peel Health Campus.

He ignored a red light at Pebble Beach Boulevard and sped down the road at 120km/h.

Police abandoned the chase after eight minutes, as it was dangerous to them and members of the public.

Fissioli’s car was located at his Dudley Park address where he was arrested.

He admitted to the offences during a recorded interview at Mandurah Police Station.

Counsel for Fissioli told the court he “imbibed in drugs and went on a rampage” after the false allegations of assault were made against him.

“He inferred incorrectly that police were setting him up,” he said.

Counsel asked Magistrate Vivien Edwards to be lenient and sentence Fissioli to the minimum mandatory penalty of six months in prison for all offences.

“He is looking forward to accessing professional counselling in prison,” he said.

The police prosecutor reminded Magistrate Edwards of the seriousness of the charges.

“It’s only by luck there wasn’t a serious accident,” the prosecutor said.

Magistrate Edwards agreed with the prosecutor and sentenced Fissioli to eight months in prison for reckless driving, two months in prison for failing to stop (to be served concurrently), fined him $1800 for the rest of the charges and ordered him to pay $88.50 in costs.

He will not be eligible for parole.

Fissioli will be released from prison on bail on March 17 to face trial for the breach of bail charges.