Man jailed for two high speed chases

Man jailed for two high speed chases

A MAN who led police on two high speed chases in Greenfields and Meadow Springs was sentenced to one year and one month imprisonment.

Luke Roney pleaded guilty to two counts of reckless driving, two counts of failing to comply with directions to stop, two counts of no authority to drive, driving an unlicensed vehicle and stealing when he appeared in Mandurah Magistrates Court via video link from Casuarina Prison.

Police prosecutor Mick Fallows said Roney was driving a Holden Commodore utility on May 2 and stole $85 worth of fuel from a Shell service station in Ravenswood.

He said Roney’s vehicle licence had expired and Roney had never held a WA driver’s licence.

It was Roney’s fifth conviction for no authority to drive.

Senior Constable Fallows said Roney was driving the utility on Lakes Road, Greenfields and evaded police at high speed.

Roney drove 133km/h on Waldron Boulevard (a 50km/h zone). Roney accelerated heavily on Murdoch Drive and went on the wrong side of the road around a traffic island.

Roney also went through a red light at the Murdoch Drive and Mandurah Road intersection. He went 140km/h in a 70km/h zone on Mandurah Road. Roney abandoned the vehicle at the Harvey Norman carpark.

Sen Const Fallows said Roney drove an unlicenced motorcycle on Kirkland Way in Meadow Springs. Police activated their lights and Roney sped away at more than 90km/h. Roney went through a shopping centre area and did 140km/h on Mandurah Road.

Police had to abort the pursuit around Broadstone Vista because it became too dangerous. Roney abandoned the vehicle in Meadow Springs and was later arrested at a Mandurah address.

Duty lawyer Claire Hay said Roney had been imprisoned previously for similar behaviour.

She said he had family issues. His amphetamine use and lifestyle landed him in trouble.

She said Roney knew he had to address his drug use.

Ms Hay said Roney was now sober and would undertake programs.

Roney was disqualified from driving for three years and six months. He was fined $200.