Man jailed for punching his friend in the face twice in Pinjarra

Scales of justice and gavel on desk with dark background that allows for copyspace.
Scales of justice and gavel on desk with dark background that allows for copyspace.

A man who punched his friend twice, causing his head to hit the footpath in a pool of blood, was sent to jail when he appeared in Mandurah Magistrates Court today.

Duane Anderson (37) pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm and no authority to drive.

Police prosecutor Neville Palmer said Anderson drove on a country road in Pinjarra on July 29 and a man and his girlfiend were passengers.

Police said the passengers were telling Anderson to slow down, Anderson slammed on the brakes and the man and woman exited the vehicle. Anderson sped off but then returned and got out of the vehicle.

Sgt Palmer said Anderson punched the man to the face and the victim fell back, hitting his head on the footpath. The victim tried to get up and Anderson punched him to the face again, causing the victim’s head to hit the ground in a small pool of blood.

Neighbours came out because they heard the victim’s head hitting the ground.

The victim was taken to hospital with a fractured cheek bone and bruising to his eyes, nose and the back of his head.

Sgt Palmer said Anderson’s driver’s licence was cancelled for life due to drink driving convictions.

Duty lawyer Claire Hay said the victim was Anderson’s long-term friend and he had been at the pub with his friend and his girlfriend.

She said there had been arguing in the car and he feels devastated for what he had done. He spent a few days in the bush after the incident.

Ms Hay said Anderson had lost his house and job in the Yarloop fires and developed a methylamphetamine habit to cope with the trauma. He spent most of his insurance payout on his meth habit and alcohol misuse.

However, Anderson had since made positive changes by stopping his meth habit, seeking help from Palmeston and gaining full-time work.

Magistrate Anne Longden accepted Anderson was genuinely remorseful and horrified by his actions.

Anderson was sentenced to six-months and two-weeks imprisonment for the assault and was fined $1000 and his driver’s licence was disqualified for a further nine months.