Mandurah murder accused has lesser charge dropped despite defence lawyer failing to appear

Mandurah murder accused has lesser charge dropped despite defence lawyer failing to appear
Mandurah murder accused has lesser charge dropped despite defence lawyer failing to appear

A MAN accused of a Halls Head murder appeared briefly in Mandurah court today after negotiations with police prosecutors resulted in one charge being dropped.

Damian Eric Maxfield (38) stands accused of the murder of 40-year-old Scott Martin and attempting to unlawfully kill 32-year-old Erelle Mason.

He appeared in Mandurah Magistrates Court today on one count of common assault in circumstances of aggravation.

The charge was dropped in favour of the more serious charges.

Mr Maxfield had to speak on his own behalf via videolink from Hakea Prison, as his lawyer failed to appear.

He told Magistrate Anne Longden that it was his understanding his lawyer would request the charge be dropped.

The police prosecutor agreed and Mr Maxfield will next appear in Perth Magistrates Court on January 25.

He has not entered pleas in relation to murder and attempted unlawful killing charges.

The family of Ms Mason set up a Go Fund Me page to pay for her injuries in relation to the alleged assault.

Police claim that Mr Maxfield hit her in the face with a brick while she was sleeping in her Blue Bay apartment around 2am on Saturday.

Ms Mason’s family said money fundraised will go into a trust in the name of Ms Mason and Mr Martin’s dead son Mason.

Mason died of SIDS in the weeks after his birth two-years-ago.

The trust will go toward Ms Mason’s physical and psychological rehabilitation.

More than $10,000 has been donated so far.