MANDURAH resident Mike Baguley claims he found mould at Peel Health Campus last year during one of his hospital visits.
Mr Baguley has made several visits to the campus for heart, back and thyroid concerns. He claims on one of the visits he noticed mould on a wall and inside the shower of a communal ward.
He said he brought the issue to the attention of a Peel Health Campus co-ordinator.
“I was told they knew about it already and were looking at getting it fixed,” he said.
“I wrote them a feedback form about it last year and went to visit the campus again in January this year. Yet it was still there.”
Mr Baguley took photos of the apparent mould in April this year after he noticed the issue still was not resolved.
“My main concern is the lack of maintenance and staffing morale because the nurses are off their feet.”
Peel Health Campus chief executive Margaret Sturdy said they are aware of the mildew staining of the grout and tiles.
She said the staining did not represent poor cleaning or pose a risk to patients.
“We are only required to use low irritant and low allergy products when cleaning the campus,” she said.
“In our own homes we would probably use bleach products which would certainly remove the staining but the use of such products is not acceptable in a hospital as these chemicals are toxic, smelly and cause too much eye and lung irritation.”
Mr Baguley said he contacted Dawesville MLA Zak Kirkup who brought the issue to the attention of Health Minister Roger Cook.
In a letter, Mr Cook said the South Metropolitan Health Service and the Department of Health were undertaking a review of the health care needs of those living in the Peel Region to determine long term clinical service delivery for the PHC.