THE Shire of Murray is considering future uses for the historic Pinjarra Court House (pictured) and plans on calling for community or commercial expressions of interest.
The court house was built in 1935 and is an important part of Pinjarra’s heritage.
It ceased use as a court house in 2003 and soon began to deteriorate through lack of use. In 2005, the then State Government allocated $200,000 to refurbish the building and the following year ownership was transferred to the National Trust.
Later, due to a lack of space, the Shire ranger service was moved into the building.
It is still there and, according to the council, its return to the Shire administration building and council support for the Pinjarra revitalisation strategy justify refocusing the use of the court house from an administration building to a community building.
The council also authorised chief executive Dean Unsworth to work with any potential operator to develop a business concept and negotiate with the National Trust on the terms of a lease if a viable option was found.