South Yunderup man who threatened to stab another sentenced

Stock image.
Stock image.

A FATHER who threatened to stab another person with a knife while intoxicated has been sentenced to a 12-month intensive supervision order.

Andrew Peter Critchlow, who appeared in Mandurah Magistrates Court today , pleaded guilty to being armed with a metal pole in a way that may cause fear and threatening to injure a person with a knife.

Police prosecutor Neville Palmer said Critchlow was at his South Yunderup address at 1.30pm on January 21, when his neighbour heard an argument between him and a person within the home.

Seg Palmer said the neighbour intervened and then invited the person into their home.

Critchlow went to his neighbour’s address to see the person he was fighting with and then left.

Police said Critchlow later returned to his neighbour’s home where he grabbed a metal pipe and said to another person “I’m going to get a gun and shoot you”.

Police said Critchlow grabbed the victim, who had tripped over a car bonnet outside the home, and held a knife towards the them.

Critchlow told the victim to “get f—-ed or I’ll stab you”, scaring the victim.

When police arrived, they seized the pole and Critchlow was taken to hospital, where he was later interviewed by police. Police ordered destruction of the metal pole.

Defence lawyer Natasha Stewart said Critchlow obtained letters from his neighbour and the person he argued with as well as medical material for Magistrate Anne Longden’s perusal.

Ms Stewart said Critchlow mixed alcohol and medication at the time and acted inappropriately in the spur of the moment.

“No one was harmed and he handed himself in to police,” she said.

“He visited the neighbour’s home and asked if the person was returning home, and some people said no.

“When he returned again he wasn’t thinking straight.”

Ms Stewart said Critchlow had a criminal history and previous common assault charges where alcohol was involved.

“He has cut down on alcohol and is now addressing his issues to prevent future offending,” she said.

Ms Stewart said Critchlow’s behaviour was a “complete overreaction” and he regretted what he had done.

Magistrate Longden said what Critchlow did and said was “worrying” and “frightening” for everyone involved.

“Those people could see what you were acting irrationally, aggressively and in a sinister matter,” she said. Magistrate Longden sentenced Critchlow to a 12-month intensive supervision order and ordered he complete community work.