AN eyewitness has told of how he saw two passersby act quickly to control a fire at Atwell House early this morning.
The witness, who asked not to be named, was walking in the area just after 6am when she spotted plumes of smoke coming out of the back of Atwell House.
“There were two men, one on his way to work who had pulled in just before I saw the smoke and a passing cyclist, who worked together to get water onto the fire and up into the roof using a bin and watering can that had been found on site,” they said.
“Their efforts reduced the significant dark plume coming from the roof to a smoulder.”
The witness said emergency services arrived just before 6.30am and the two men left shortly afterwards.
“These guys stepped up in a moment of need with a second thought, did what needed to be done in a completely cool-headed way and then left the scene as quick as they’d arrived without any recognition,” they said.
“They did a good job and deserve to be acknowledged for their efforts.
“I’m guessing that their quick action helped to significantly minimise the damage caused to this old building.”