Artwork including painting, sculpture, graphic design, fashion textiles, prints, animation, ceramics, cake decoration and jewellery has been completed by the school’s legendary Gifted and Talented Education Visual Art Program (fondly referred to as Special Art), established in 1958.
The exhibition in the school’s main hall will showcase the artwork of many of this year’s 147 Year 8 through to Year 12 students in the program, with the diverse range of artwork produced over the past year in art classes and the Special Art Saturday extension classes.
The school’s specialist program, which was the first public specialist art program of its kind to be established in WA, has produced many highly talented progeny over the years and some of the recent notables include:
– Abdul Abdullah – artist – finalist Archibald Portrait Prize 2011 and 2013
– Mark Ho – product designer in London
– Sophie Wakefield – reading Art History at Oxford University
– Elisha Quintal – fashion designer with her The Butcher and the Crow label
– Tane Andrews and Kira Goodey – artists and fashion designers Cabbages and Kings. Kira also has the label Scarlet Fever Footwear.
WHAT: Special Art Annual Exhibition
WHERE: Applecross Senior High
School, Ardessie Street
WHEN: November 22