Query hangs over Melville council’s proposed question time amendment

Stock image.
Stock image.

MELVILLE councillors have deferred approving a new policy on public question time so they can consider late amendments to the report.

The new policy, which proposes limiting the number of questions ratepayers can ask to two among other changes, was first put to an agenda briefing earlier this month.

The recommendation for approval was to be considered on Tuesday night.

But deputy Mayor Matthew Woodall asked for that to be pushed back a month so amendments received from councillor Nicholas Pazolli just prior to the meeting could be properly considered.

Cr Pazolli’s proposed amendments offered those posing the questions an opportunity to re-word their queries if the council considered them offensive, defamatory or an attempt to intimidate.

Should a questioner disagree with the ruling of the chief executive, they would be able to appeal that decision at a future meeting.

Also included was a request that a question shall not be ruled out on the basis it referred to an operational matter rather than a strategic one – and that all questions submitted a day prior to the meeting be emailed to councillors the day of the meeting.

Mr Woodall said two of (the amendments) were quite substantive and deserved further discussion.

“But at the very least I would like to have more time to consider the implications of those items and to ask officers and Cr Pazolli questions about those amendments,” he said.

MORE: Perth Train Station: fires lit overnight

MORE: Girrawheen: youths smash car windows, attack men

MORE: Mundaring’s Little Caesars Pizzeria to close