THE City of Melville has given its stamp of approval to the State Government’s move to ban wheel clamping, following the parking fiasco in Hulme Court last year.
The government will look to “end the draconian” practice with new legislation that will outlaw using wheel clamps to enforce parking infringement payments.
Melville chief executive Marten Tieleman said the City supported the government taking the lead to draft wheel clamping legislation, given the uncertainly over the power that local authorities could have to enforce such regulations.
Hulme Court businesses were also celebrating this week’s clamping ban announcement.
About a dozen cars were clamped at the Hulme Court business precinct in Myaree on December 4, sparking an angry backlash from customers and local shopkeepers.
“Wheel clamping shouldn’t be a thing and it’s great the State Government is doing something about it,” Verde Brio Myaree co-owner Andy Huang said this week.
“We haven’t seen any wheel clamping since that day and customers are much happier.”
The ensuing media storm forced the clamping company responsible to pull out from working in the centre, after it claimed it had been ‘kept in the dark’ about reciprocal parking arrangements and, incredibly, may have been incorrectly clamping cars there for eight years.
Melville Council last year asked its staff to research possible changes to parking local laws to stop companies engaging in clamping within Melville, but that local investigation now appears to be unnecessary.
Mr Tieleman said the council would put it’s investigation on hold pending the State Government’s action.
“As this matter progresses and as further information becomes available, an officer report will be made to council that reflects this,” he said.
Hulme Court is not the only local location to feel the effect of wheel clamping, with motorists also at risk in privately-owned sections of the Riseley Centre.
The City of Melville does not employ wheel clampers in council carparks.