Soccer: Melville City remains winless after 4-3 loss to Olympic Kingsway

stock image.
stock image.

MELVILLE City’s winless start to the State League Division 2 season continued in a 4-3 loss to Olympic Kingsway at John Connell Reserve.

Despite playing most of the second half with 10 men, the visitors came from behind and put four unanswered goals past Melville.

The loss left Melville rooted to the bottom of the ladder after its first five games.

In an even first half, Jordan Dodd wasted Kingsway’s best chance when he snatched wildly at a shot inside the penalty area that flew high and wide of the goal.

City took the lead just before half time when a wonderful piece of skill from Grant Mowatt saw him round the keeper and stroke the ball home.

However, Nathan Thorp’s deflected strike saw them draw level just after the restart.

It looked like Melville had the advantage when Josh Pereira was sent off for what appeared to be a mixture of retaliation and dissent towards the referee.

But minutes later, Olympic took the lead when Travis Preston’s cross was tucked home by an unmarked Christopher Rizidis from close range.

Despite having one less man, Kingsway continued to control the game and Dodd’s superb finish made it 3-1 with 20 minutes to play.

Dodd got a second soon after when he swept home Michael Rizidis’ cutback to all but seal the result.

Christian Long’s instinctive strike after Simon El Chami’s shot hit the post reduced the deficit and gave the host’s a lifeline, before Mark Lucas’ long-range effort found the net to set up a grandstand finish.

Melville twice came close late, as Denaudo Murray’s free kick was tipped away by Mitchell Papas, before Sam Khankhalili’s header crashed off the post, but Kingsway held on for a valuable win.

Melville’s under-18s won 10-3 against their Kingsway counterparts, while the Reserves fell 4-3.

MORE: Refugees share tales at Amnesty forum

MORE: GIVIT helping WA charities link needed with the needy

MORE: Forrestfield Police Station to have extended hours