DERRICK and Carol Morgan have thanked the people who stopped to help them when their utility, towing a caravan, burst into flames on Great Eastern Highway nearly two weeks ago.
The couple were headed out of Perth from their home in Maida Vale to meet friends camping in the country.
But they did not get past Chidlow before a fire started under the bonnet due to an electrical fault.
Their American RAM utility was destroyed in the fire and is now in a wrecker’s yard in Mundaring.
Their caravan was luckily not destroyed as fire trucks were able to attend the call before the car fire spread.
Mr Morgan said they were grateful for the assistance from people travelling on the road who stopped to call for help and disconnect the caravan from the ute to prevent the fire spreading.
“My phone and wallet were burned in the fire, as I had to get out quickly before I could grab either item,” he said.
“The Hills community is so kind and always helps people in trouble and we wanted to express our gratitude as we were so impressed with the assistance they gave us.
“We were grateful that other people stopped and took over as we were in shock.”
The couple’s dog Bonsai was travelling with them and was able to get out safely in time.