Gas leak closes Kalamunda pool

There was a chlorine fire at Kalamaunda Water Park
There was a chlorine fire at Kalamaunda Water Park

A chlorine alarm was activated about 6.45pm and the Department of Fire and Emergency Services sent in five crews ” one local volunteer brigade from Kalamunda and four-career fire fighting trucks from Belmont, Murdoch and Welshpool ” to the scene, on the corner of Collins and Canning Roads.

Department of Environment and Conservation officers also attended.

The crews entered the pool storeroom where one of the two 920kg chlorine gas cylinders was found to be leaking.

Shire of Kalamunda acting chief executive Clayton Higham said no one was injured or evacuated from the area.

‘Investigations to determine the cause of the leak are underway, with a technician now on the site,’ he said.

‘The situation was dealt with efficiently ” ensuring the safety of all.

‘I would like to thank emergency services staff who assisted to assess the situation and ensure safety.

‘In the interests of community safety and, until such time as the investigation is complete, we have temporarily closed the centre,’ Mr Higham said.

A DFES spokesman said the gas, which was venting when crews arrived, was the result of a faulty cylinder valve.

The leak was mostly contained to the storeroom and emergency workers had left site by 11pm.