THE Department of Environment and Regulation has advised that Wasterock has withdrawn two applications for its site on Adelaide Street, which has been at the centre of complaints from nearby residents in the Jacaranda Springs housing estate.
On its community updates page, the DER said on May 5 that Wasterock withdrew its Works Approval Application for its proposed remediation activities at Lot 20. Four days later the company withdrew its licence application seeking approval to operate a solid waste depot on the site.
Lot 20 Adelaide St Community Awareness Group spokeswoman Lisa Cooper said it was a win for the community.
“Residents are extremely happy with the news Wasterock has withdrawn its applications, however we will still need to remain vigilant in the future,” she said.
Forrestfield MLA Stephen Price said while it was unclear why the applications had been withdrawn, he was pleased with the news.
“The fantastic work by the Lot 20 Adelaide Street awareness group ensuring appropriate attention has been focused on this project has been outstanding,” he said.
“This proves local involvement in local issues by local people can and does influence projects within their own backyards.
“It has been a long and at times frustrating issue for these residents.
“I will continue to work with the group to ensure that focus remains on the issues in the street until proper site testing has been undertaken at Lot 20 and the activities of Lot 501 better suit the location to nearby residential housing,” he said.
Wasterock was contacted for comment.