Yanchep residents can learn first aid for pets at free information night

Vet Sam Sorensen will hold an information night on first aid for pets.
Vet Sam Sorensen will hold an information night on first aid for pets.

YANCHEP residents can learn first aid for their pets at a free information night this month.

Vet and animal medical specialist Sam Sorensen said the warmer weather could bring additional hazards to gardens and bush walking areas, increasing the risk of pets being bitten, stung or poisoned.

Dr Sorensen said it was important pet owners learnt and understood basic pet first aid in case of any emergencies.

She warned that changes in pets’ behaviour included weakness, signs of pain, seizures, bloating and swelling, unusual and persistent vomiting, or breathing difficulties are signs that medical assistance was needed urgently.

Snake bites, bee stings and heat stroke are just some of the most likely summer problems that require urgent medical attention.

“While it is important to be vigilant and aware at all times when your pet is outdoors, there are also many hazards around the home that are a danger to your pet,” Dr Sorensen said.

“Unsuitable food items, toxins and solvents can all cause death and should be kept out of reach.”

Dr Sorensen will be running a free information night on Thursday, November 22 from 6.30pm at the Yanchep Veterinary Clinic and Animal Hospital, 156 Yanchep Beach Road.

She and an emergency vet from the Emergency Vet Hospital in Wangara will help owners recognise the most common signs that a pet is unwell and needs emergency medical attention.

Topics will include pet CPR, transport in an emergency, heat stroke, snake bites, stings and bites and common poisons.

The information night is free but places are strictly limited and booking is essential.

Visit the Yanchep Vet Clinic Facebook page for more information.