Connolly Drive contract awarded

A $6.5 million contract to widen Connolly Drive through Clarkson and Merriwa-Ridgewood got a tick of approval last month.

City of Wanneroo councillors unanimously agreed without discussion to award the tender of more than $6.48 million to RJ Vincent & Co at their council meeting on February 2.

Work is due to start later this month and finish by the end of August.

The project will cost more than $8.4 million in total, with the City needing to allocate another $4 million in its 2016-17 budget.

The City’s acting assets director Grant Chettleburgh said traffic counts on Connolly Drive were taken north of Hinchinbrook Avenue in 2015, with an average weekday traffic volume of 16,797 vehicles per day.

Mr Chettleburgh said a traffic count south of Hester Avenue in 2012 recorded an average of 14,842 vehicles a day.

“At this stage it is anticipated that Connolly Drive will remain open to traffic during construction of the dual carriageway, though some delays to motorists are expected,” he said.

“Intersecting local roads, except Hester Avenue, are likely to be closed up to one month in duration to facilitate construction for tie-ins, but there will always be alternative routes open for residents to access their properties.”

Mr Chettleburgh said Main Roads WA was responsible for reviewing speed limits, but he did not anticipate the 60km/h limit would change.

“Marmion Avenue is under the care and control of the City,” he said.

“As the primary road link to the Yanchep strategic metropolitan centre and based on the rapidly growing traffic volumes, the City believes that Marmion Avenue should be reclassified as a primary distributor (similar to Wanneroo Road) and ownership transferred to Main Roads WA.

“Both Wanneroo Road and Mitchell Freeway are under the care and control of Main Roads WA.”