Decision on freeway tender soon

Spokesman Dean Roberts said they would announce the design and construct contract in April, but could not confirm whether the winning tender had come under budget until the tender was awarded.

‘The Mitchell Freeway extension is currently funded to Hester Avenue, any extension further will need to be considered under future budgetary process,’ he said.

Last week the Times reported on calls by local and state politicians for surplus funds to extend the freeway to Romeo Road.

Wanneroo councillors discussed the issue at their March 3 council meeting, raising concerns about traffic congestion on Hester if the freeway ended there.

Mr Roberts said traffic predictions had been considered when developing the scope of works for the freeway extension.

‘This will be further considered in the detailed design for design and construct contract,’ he said.

‘Some network improvements have also been carried out or will be carried out in the area adjacent to the project to cater for future traffic flows.

‘The Flynn Drive intersection on Wanneroo Road will be upgraded to four-way intersection and widening of Wanneroo Road on either side of this intersection will be completed as part of the freeway extension project.

‘Some minor network improvements will also be made along Marmion Avenue.

‘The widening or duplication of other sections of Wanneroo Road will be considered as a separate project as part of a future Budget process.’

Mr Roberts said construction of the freeway extension would start later this year, and the community reference group (CRG) would meet again after the contract was awarded.

‘The CRG will have input to some components of the detailed design and some management plans,’ he said.