DEMOLITION works will start at Club Capricorn later this month, a developer says.
The City of Wanneroo issued a demolition permit for the former resort facilities, owned by Capricorn Village Joint Venture, on May 24.
“Demolition at Club Capricorn is anticipated to start by the end of June, starting with several weeks of interim works to disconnect dormant services and securing a safe work site,” Acumen Development Solutions principal Jarrod Rendell said.
“We expect the works to be complete across three months in winter, during which time access to the beach through the area will be restricted for safety reasons.
“There will be a large amount of material processed and recycled on-site for future use in development works, reducing the amount of building material that would have otherwise gone directly to landfill.”
Mr Rendell said the Mark Le Buse sculptures would be protected during the works.
“We are still liaising with the community and City about the best place to permanently relocate them,” he said.
“Early concepts for the area include a new short stay tourism facility with beachfront restaurants and coffee shops, as well as coastal residential lots, but detailed planning has not yet proceeded beyond initial concepts.”
Maria Cooke , the City’s acting planning and sustainability director, said the demolition permit included the standard conditions, such as that works could only take place between 7am and 7pm on days excluding Sundays and public holidays.
Conditions also require disconnection of Telstra and Western Power services, rat baiting 14 days before demolition, emptying, cleaning and filling septic tanks, dust management and that it take place within 12 months.
“Prior to any demolition activities occurring, a throughout site investigation should be undertaken to determine whether there is any asbestos material present,” the conditions said.
“If present, asbestos material should be removed prior to the demolition of other materials.
“When removing asbestos cement building products the surrounding area should have signs and barriers erected to warn of the danger and prevent unauthorized people entering.”
At a Two Rocks Yanchep Residents Association meeting last month, Yanchep Police Sergeant Jason Macander said police had been focussing on the site.
Sgt Macander said police wanted to see the buildings, which had been vandalised and a target for anti-social behaviour, demolished.
Wanneroo councillor Nat Sangalli submitted a request to the City following the meeting, asking if it could compel the owners to demolish what was left quickly.
“The site has been vandalised to such an extent that it’s barely recognisable,” she said.
“Local police commented on the antisocial and safety problems and residents are very concerned about potential fire threats.”