Home detention cancelled for Yangebup man who allegedly stalked, photographed girl in Butler

Home detention cancelled for Yangebup man who allegedly stalked, photographed girl in Butler

A MAN accused of stalking and photographing a 12-year-old girl in Butler has had his home detention lifted, and will be able to get a job.

Yangebup resident Shane Warren Marshall appeared in Joondalup Magistrates Court on Wednesday, where duty lawyer Andrew Parker requested the bail condition be changed.

In July, Mr Marshall pleaded not guilty to the charge of “pursuing another person in a manner to intimidate with circumstances of aggravation”, which stemmed from an incident on Lukin Drive on February 28.

It was alleged he drove slowly behind a child and took photos of her with his phone between 3pm and 4.30pm.

Mr Marshall spent multiple weeks in custody after being arrested in March, before being released on home detention bail.

Mr Parker said Mr Marshall had been on home detention for five months and he was “keen to get back to the workplace” but would need permission to attend job interviews.

The police prosecutor opposed the request saying the charge was “a very serious offence” and it would be a “dangerous move”.

Magistrate Deen Potter said Yangebup was quite a “physical distance from where the incident occurred”.

However, the prosecutor said further images of school children, who were yet to be identified, had been found on the phone and “schools are everywhere”.

Mr Parker said this allegation had been “raised continuously but nothing has been forthcoming”.

Mr Potter said the process had been six months so far, with no breach, and there were another six months until trial on March 13

He granted the request to remove the home detention condition from bail.

Mr Marshall will still have to report to his local police station twice a week and there is a surety of $5000.