ROADWORKS should soon start for the Yanchep playing fields project but sports groups will not have use of the ovals until 2017.
A City of Wanneroo newsletter last week said ‘road works should be starting soon’ for the long-awaited sports facility.
It said the City had received ministerial approval for the planning scheme amendment that allowed the City to collect developer contributions to partly fund the $7.15 million facility.
At the recent Two Rocks Yanchep Residents Association meeting, Wanneroo councillor Linda Aitken said residents should not expect to get the ovals for at least two football seasons.
‘I don’t think you will get it by 2016,’ she said.
Cr Aitken said it was more likely to be finished in mid or late 2017, if there were no further delays.
Last week, the City’s website said the ovals would be ‘available for use in early to mid-2017’.
Cr Aitken said the developer cost share model had not been finalised as it had to go out for a 42-day consultation period with developers in December.
A report on the December 9 council agenda had shown the contributions in Yanchep and Two Rocks would be more than double previous calculations, rising from $3291 per dwelling to $7297.
Cr Aitken said if the developers had made no objections, it would proceed.
The City has developed concept plans for the project, which will include two senior-sized sporting fields, a car-park, amenities building, courts for basketball and netball, a play area and floodlighting.
‘The City of Wanneroo and Yanchep Beach Joint Venture (the developer) are currently developing the design and scope documentation for the Marmion Avenue extension and ground works for the ovals,’ the City’s website said.