Playing fields talks still on agenda

Elected members will consider a report on the May 28 agenda outlining developer Yanchep Beach Joint Venture’s conditions for both parties to re-enter negotiations.

‘They are prepared to resume these negotiations subject to five actions or conditions,’ the City’s corporate strategy and performance director John Paton said last week.

In the report, he recommended the council agree to some conditions, but said that others were premature.

The developer’s first condition called for the City to take away the proposal to develop an oval at Charnwood Reserve, something Mr Paton recommended council agree to.

The second asked for grant applications to be resubmitted, to which he said the funding allocated by the Department of Sport and Recreation in January was still current.

However, Mr Paton recommended the council respond to the third condition, which was to guarantee the playing fields be funded through the developer contribution scheme, by advising YBJV it was ‘premature, prejudicial and contrary’ to proper planning.

He said the council would consider adopting the scheme itself at its June meeting.

Similarly, Mr Paton said the request that YBJV be provided all findings of the City’s audit into the decision-making process on this project was ‘premature’ as the council had not yet set the terms of reference for the audit.

The developer also asked that negotiations resume based on the deed of agreement as it was last October, and agreement will be recommended tonight.

At last week’s briefing session, planning director Len Kosova declared an interest, saying he had previously had an employment discussion with YBJV.

Councillor Brett Treby, who chaired the meeting because the Mayor and Deputy Mayor were attending a local government conference in Hobart, foreshadowed an amendment to the recommendations.