Quigley call on Moorpark Avenue road reserves

Quigley call on Moorpark Avenue road reserves

NEGOTIATIONS about access issues for residents of Moorpark Avenue in Yanchep have started as a State politician enters the dispute.

Butler MLA John Quigley called for the City of Wanneroo to reinstate road |reserves off Moorpark |Avenue after steps were taken to rezone them for residential lots.

Following the June 7 council decision to negotiate with landowners, Wanneroo Mayor Tracey Roberts said subdivision of the area in the 1970s left parcels of land as road reserves and the more recent rezoning prompted a review of access.

Some of the properties have driveways coming off the former road reserves and Mr Quigley said residents bought their properties and designed their homes based on the belief they would be corner blocks. “This situation is untenable given that residents were not given proper notice at the time and could not voice their objections,” he said.

The City’s acting planning and sustainability |director Mark Dickson said the issues raised by Mr Quigley had already been considered by the council at its June 7 special council meeting.

“The City acknowledges Mr Quigley’s interest in this matter. However, this is already being proactively addressed by council in consultation with residents,” he said. “Council resolved to authorise the chief executive to commence negotiations with the developers in an effort to resolve the issues of access for Moorpark Avenue landowners, and report back to council once the negotiations have concluded.”

Mr Dickson said the City had since written to affected residents, started negotiations with developers on June 14 and arranged an onsite meeting with residents and landowners on June 16.

“From the meeting, there was no suggestion that there were still active concerns expressed from the residents,” he said.

Mr Dickson said that consultation with adjoining landowners took place before the WA Planning Commission adopted the local structure plan number 68 in June 2013.

He said the City received submissions from two affected landowners at the time.