Storm whips up sand

Foreshore protection works at Quinns Beach. Picture: Emma Reevesd420472
Foreshore protection works at Quinns Beach. Picture: Emma Reevesd420472

Save Our Foreshore Quinns Beach co-founder Nat Sangalli said she received several calls about the storm’s effects on the foreshore works, and spoke to the contractor who assured her all was as well as it could be given the conditions.

‘The water did break the protective bank and has washed a lot or most of it away, but it has not damaged or undermined the actual sandbag revetment or limestone works behind it,’ she said on the group’s social media site.

‘Only the temporary protective wall on the ocean side has damage.

‘The neck of the first groyne is also losing sand from wave action and I would not recommend entering that area.

‘On the north side of the first groyne there has been some sand loss but in my opinion not as much as previous storms.’

The City of Wanneroo’s infrastructure director Dennis Blair said there was a significant amount of sand movement as a result of storm conditions last weekend.

‘Fortunately, construction works completed so far, including sandbag revetment and a limestone retaining wall, were not affected,’ he said.

Mr Blair said the contractor, Curnow Group, undertook digging work on May 26 to recover dewatering pipes and rolls of geotextile fabric that were buried during the storm conditions.

He said they also did earthworks to prepare the site for extra sandbags or rock armour, as excavation below the tide level was required to place the revetment toe.

Mrs Sangalli said while many people were frustrated by sand washing away after being dumped on the beach, it meant they were not facing ‘the loss of half the car park’.

‘Hopefully when the project moves into long-term planning, a much better solution will be found,’ she said.

At Tuesday’s council meeting, the Quinns Rocks’ resident asked when they would receive an update on the community reference group and when works were likely to finish.

Mr Blair said they had selected community representatives for the group and would soon send out notification, with the first meeting planned for July.

He said, at this stage, the short-term coastal protection works were due to end in June.

Mrs Sangalli said a lot of sand blew onto Ocean Drive and nearby residents wanted help from the City of Wanneroo to clear sand that blew onto their properties and homes.

She said photos taken over the weekend also showed people within the construction area, and raised concerns about safety barriers that fell over during the storm.

Mr Blair said City staff inspected the site on Saturday and Sunday and decided the barriers still provided enough of a barrier to the site.

He said most of the sand was cleaned off the road on the weekend by a road sweeper, although extra machinery had to remove the sand on Monday.Lucy Jarvis