Teen charged over assault, damage

Clarkson Detectives Senior Sergeant Gary Saunders said they arrested the teenager on August 12 after inquiries and charged him with two counts of criminal damage and one of grievous bodily harm.

Sgt Saunders alleged the grievous bodily harm charge related to an assault in Butler on July 13.

‘As a result of that assault, the victim was required to undergo surgery and have titanium plates in his jaw,’ he said.

The detective alleged the two criminal damage charges related to two incidents at a fast food outlet on the corner of Lukin and Connolly drives in Butler, with one occurring earlier on the night of the assault.

‘On July 13, he smashed a side entrance door and smashed an LCD TV on the wall, and then smashed the illuminated menu board outside in the drive-through,’ Sgt Saunders said. ‘On June 23, he smashed a lower glass panel to the front door.’

He said the Butler boy had been remanded in custody and was due to appear in Perth Children’s Court tomorrow, August 28.

‘When we arrested him, he also had a bench warrant outstanding for failing to appear in court on a charge of aggravated robbery,’ Sgt Saunders said.

‘Detectives are also investigating him for other serious offences that occurred in the Butler area.’

Sgt Saunders said while searching for the 17-year-old suspect, detectives visited a house in Wadhurst Road, Butler on August 10, where a 22-year-old man fled the house.

‘He was chased and apprehended, and found to be in possession of the prohibited drug (cannabis) and cash (more than $1000),’ Sgt Saunders alleged. ‘He was arrested and a search of his house in St Helena Way in Iluka was conducted.

‘As a result of that, he was charged with possession of a prohibited drug with intent to sell or supply.

‘He is due to appear in Joondalup Magistrates Court on August 30.’

Sgt Saunders said much of their attention had been focused on the Butler area recently, with 13 arrests made in a week and a half following ‘proactive inquiries’.