PLANS for a drive-through addition to a liquor store at Butler’s Lukin Centre gained approval last week following an appeal to the State Administrative Tribunal.
The Wanneroo council set aside its original refusal from July and approved revised plans from Gastevski Group for owner Tango Investments for the drive-through at its December 8 meeting.
The council had refused earlier plans based on a parking shortfall and safety concerns, but the applicant changed the plans to create parking bays to replace those where the drive-through would go and removed a browse lane.
One of the conditions set out by the council was that there would be no deliveries to the loading bay near Tarpon Link between 4.30pm and 7pm on Fridays – deemed the busiest time for a liquor store.
Councillor Sabine Winton, who had foreshadowed an alternative motion, argued against approving the addition of a drive-through.
Cr Winton said the City had not sought independent advice on predicted traffic movements or safety issues.
Cr Dianne Guise asked what the implications would be if the council did not make a decision that night, and the City’s planning implementation manager Pas Bracone said the matter was scheduled for a directions hearing on December 18.
Having raised concerns about safety and traffic prior to being elected to the council in October, Cr Natalie Sangalli repeated concerns about the potential for crashes near the loading bay at the December 1 council briefing.
The majority of councillors voted to approve the drive-through, with crs Sangalli and Winton voting against it.