Two Rocks beach stairs can stay for now says City of Wanneroo


Concerned residents gather at the beach to object to the stairway demolition. Pictures: Martin Kennealey        www.communitypix.com.au   d457798
The beach access stairs at Two Rocks.
Two Rocks beach stairs can stay for now says City of Wanneroo
Two Rocks beach stairs can stay for now says City of Wanneroo
Two Rocks beach stairs can stay for now says City of Wanneroo
Concerned residents gather at the beach to object to the stairway demolition. Pictures: Martin Kennealey        www.communitypix.com.au d457798 The beach access stairs at Two Rocks.

A COMMUNITY campaign has prompted the City of Wanneroo to put plans to demolish beach access stairs in Two Rocks on hold.

The City had told residents a contractor would remove the stairs on August 8.

Residents from Sovereign Drive and surrounding streets spoke to the Times and the City about their concerns about consultation and the alternative access – a dirt track 100m further north.

That prompted the City to put yesterday’s demolition plans on hold.

MORE: Two Rocks residents upset by removal of beach stairs.

Assets director Harminder Singh said storms in recent months resulted in erosion at the beach.

“The City identified safety concerns about the existing beach access staircase and was of the opinion it should be removed to ensure community safety,” he said.

“Discussions have been held with residents over the phone who expressed concerns regarding the City’s decision to remove the staircase structure and open the alternative access pathway to the north.

“The City has therefore made a decision to put removal works on hold pending the outcome of the independent engineering assessment and beach access will remain closed in the interim.”

Resident Alison Moore said people were upset there had been no consultation about the decision or alternatives.

“We accept the structural integrity of the stairs has been undermined,” she said.

“We seek consultation with council for alternative options to be explored.”

Ms Moore said it was “nonsensical to destroy valuable infrastructure” including the path and platform because the stairs needed repair or replacement.

Shey Young said water came up to the stairs every year then receded, and a solution could be reinforcement with rocks.

“The cost of removing this should be weighed up against the cost of reinforcing that,” her husband John said.

“It’s our only access to the beach – now they are going to provide unsafe access.”

Mrs Young said their safety concerns about the bush track included snakes because a woman died on another track last year following a snake bite.

“She just died because there was no one there to help her,” she said.

“The more isolated the track, the more likely you’ll be there on your own.”

Mr Singh said the City would get an independent engineering assessment of the structure considering structural stability and coastal vulnerability this week.

“Should the assessment validate administration’s view that removal of the structure is necessary, residents will be informed of the results via a comprehensive mail out, on site signage and website update and removal works will proceed without delay to address safety risks,” he said.

“If the structure is removed, options for an observation point at the end of the existing concrete path will be investigated.

“Measures will be investigated to ensure the proposed alternate pedestrian access pathway is user-friendly.

“A beach safety assessment will be conducted in consultation with Surf Life Saving WA at the end of the proposed alternate access pathway.

“A subsequent community information session will be held at the Phil Renkin Centre prior to the opening of the proposed alternate beach access pathway.”