A TWO Rocks developer is pushing for another beach access route as the population grows in the southern part of the suburb.
The issue of beach access arose again at the Two Rocks Yanchep Residents Association’s May 28 meeting after a resident called for another access route at the April meeting.
The initial call stemmed from frustration about seaweed build up on the beach near Two Rocks Marina, and a desire to have access a section of sandy beach farther south.
A guest speaker at the May meeting, Acumen Development Solutions principal Nick Perrignon said the Atlantis Beach estate developer had been discussing a potential beach access off Two Rocks Road with the City of Wanneroo.
Mr Perrignon said it would be between Blaxland Avenue and Whitfield Drive, with demand stemming from the extra 176 lots the developer had created in the southern portion of the estate.
He said the suburb’s population had grown from 2990 people during the 2016 Census to about 3300 people.
“The majority of those for the moment have come in on the southern side and this will continue to grow,” he said.
Mr Perrignon said the proposal was to create a limestone road with 32 car bays and would be “convenient”.
“It’s a carpark that will go along some existing tracks,” he said.
“We’ve taken into account all the erosion factors.
“We’ve got a surf life saving report – they said this was a very safe beach.
“We will work with the council and put some funding towards it.”
Asked when it would be created, Mr Perrignon said that would be his question to the council when he provides a briefing on the proposal on June 12.
Wanneroo Mayor Tracey Roberts said they would also need to deal with the State Government policy in relation to coastal setbacks in the foreshore reserve.
Residents discussed safety concerns along the beach when seaweed piles up and possible solutions such as a private company removing it to make mulch.
Mrs Roberts said the marina redevelopment reference group that she chaired was discussing options to deal with the seaweed issue, which regularly arose at those meetings.
Responding to questions from the Times last month, the City said it had no current plans to provide another beach access route in Two Rocks.