Two Rocks resident sorry for ‘boom’ heard across two suburbs on Saturday night

Stock image.
Stock image.

THE Two Rocks resident whose bonfire caused a “boom” has apologised to those who heard it.

Brendan, who asked that his surname be withheld, contacted the Weekender after a story about the September 30 incident.

“I’m incredibly sorry for any scare that I caused; it scared me more than anyone else,” he said.

“The cause of the explosion was a small amount of petrol poured into the fire pit.”

The Cinnamon Meander resident said a 2L milk bottle of petrol was poured into the centre of the pit, then a lit stick was thrown in.

“It didn’t take straight away (which) allowed gases to build up,” he said.

“The fire itself was never an out-of-control fire.

“Within half an hour, the fire had burnt itself out.

“There was no damage to any homes; no one was injured.”

Brendan said there was only a small flame left when fire crews from Two Rocks Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade and Yanchep Volunteer Fire and Rescue arrived.

He said there were about 50 people at his home for a birthday celebration when the accidental boom occurred.

“It’s definitely no laughing matter,” he said.

“Everyone should be careful lighting their fires.”

Residents in Two Rocks and Yanchep took to social media to speculate about the cause after hearing an explosion about 8.30pm on September 30.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services confirmed that the property owner had a permit to do a burn-off on Saturday night.

The bushfire season officially started on Sunday.

MORE: Four facing drug and weapons charges after raids on homes

MORE: Mum of two’s second bout with breast cancer inspires pink high tea fundraiser

MORE: Golfathon will be no stroll in the park