Shire of Murray looking to bring community groups to court

The Pinjarra Court House in George Street was built in 1935.
The Pinjarra Court House in George Street was built in 1935.

THE Shire of Murray is considering future uses for the historic Pinjarra Court House and plans on calling for community or commercial expressions of interest.

The court house was built in 1935 and is an important part of Pinjarra’s heritage.

It ceased use as a court house in 2003 and soon began to deteriorate through lack of use.

In 2005, the then State Government allocated $200,000 to refurbish the building and the following year ownership was transferred to the National Trust.

Later, due to a lack of space, the Shire ranger service was moved into the building.

It is still based there but will move back to the Shire administration building this year.

According to the council, the return of the rangers office to the Shire administration building and council support for the Pinjarra revitalisation strategy justify refocusing the use of the court house from an administration building to a community building.

The council also authorised chief executive Dean Unsworth to work with any potential operator to develop a business concept and negotiate with the National Trust on the terms of a lease if a viable option is found.

MORE: Police investigating reported sexual assault incident at high school south of Perth

MORE: Financial pressures on property owner to see Shalom House leave West Swan residence

MORE: Carjacking ordeal in Osborne Park a lie according to police