Tricky rescue of boy stuck in a chimney a success

Tricky rescue of boy stuck in a chimney a success

A YOUNG boy is recovering after he became stuck in a chimney south-east of Perth yesterday.

The eight-year-old climbed up a chimney of a Katanning home and became stuck after 10am on Sunday, June 2.

Police, Department of Fire and Emergency Services and St John Ambulance were called by the boy’s mother.

The boy could be heard breathing, however was in considerable difficulty.

A police officer lay down on her back and used her arms to support the boy’s legs while talking to him to calm him down.

The boy’s mother also supported and encouraged him throughout the incident.

DFES and St John Ambulance attended to assist with safety equipment provided to the police officer.

The plasterboard and brick work were carefully removed by DFES until an oxygen line was inserted by ambulance officers into the opening to help the boy to breathe.

Over a considerable amount of time, DFES carefully removed enough bricks to get to the boy.

The boy was able to be extracted through the opening and was taken to Katanning Regional Hospital by ambulance as a precaution.

The boy is now recovering at home with his family.