THE team from The Merrywell at Crown Perth, led by chef de cuisine Daniel Lopes, triumphed at this year’s Australian Hotels Association WA’s Best Steak Sandwich competition.
Here, sous chef Thomas Schneider provides a demonstration of a simplified version that’s easy for you to make dad this Father’s Day.
It’s sure to be a winner.
GRILLED LAMB RUMP STEAK SANDWICH WITH CHIPOTLE AND FIG RELISH, PICKLED BEETROOT, FETA MAYONNAISE AND PISTACHIOS
4 mini ciabatta rolls or any type of roll (we use a custom-made potato and onion bread)
200g WA lamb rump (we use denuded lamb rump centre cut)
5g chipotle chilli
200ml orange juice
Pinch of cinnamon
12 slices pickled beetroot
20g crumbled feta
50g regular yoghurt
60g bag rocket
1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp pistachio nuts
1. Char grill the lamb rump on all sides just to seal it off. Marinate the lamb with the butter and cook the whole rump at 62 degrees Celsius for 2.5 hours.
2. Once cooked, cool it down on ice immediately.
3. Add the figs, chipotle chilli, orange juice and cinnamon into a saucepan. Cook until the figs are soft and liquids mostly evaporated.
4. Once cooled, blend until you get a nice smooth consistency, then season to taste.
5. Meanwhile, combine the feta, yoghurt and aioli in a small bowl.
6. Toast the pistachios until they get some colour. Wait for them to cool, then roughly blend them.
7. Slice the lamb rump and grill five slices to desired temperature.
8. Cut the bread in half and toast until golden and crispy on the inside.
9. Once cooked, butter the bread and spread the fig and chipotle jam on the bottom of each slice.
10. Dress the rocket with the olive oil and lemon juice and place a handful on each sandwich.
11. Place 3 slices of beetroot and top with 5 slices of lamb rump per sandwich.
12. Finish off with the feta mayo and crushed pistachio nuts.
Serving suggestion: Serve with a side of sweet potato fries.